What is NEBA?
NEBA is the first of a new kind of medical device cleared by the FDA that uses brainwaves (EEG) to help clinicians more accurately diagnose ADHD in children and adolescents (ages 6 – 17.99 years). FDA created an entirely new category of medical device to regulate NEBA. These devices are called Neuropsychiatric Interpretive EEG-based Assessment Aids or NIEAs for short.
NEBA uses brainwaves (EEG) along with a clinician’s initial diagnostic impression to improve the accuracy of the ADHD diagnostic process. NEBA measures the electrical activity in the front part of the brain to derive a biomarker. NEBA then combines this information with the clinician’s diagnostic impression. Using this data and a patented method, NEBA categorizes children with ADHD symptoms into three groups:
- ADHD – confirmatory support
- Support for further testing – focus on ADHD
- Support for further testing – focus on ‘other conditions’
Our FDA validation study (available from FDA’s website) showed that NEBA’s categorization can help clinicians reduce overdiagnosis of ADHD to as low as 3%.
What do other parents think about NEBA?
Parents report that NEBA provided them the help they were looking for and that they would recommend NEBA to other parents.
You can find our most recent parent survey results, here.
You can also see videos of parents telling how NEBA helped their children and their families, here.
Why is NEBA important?
NEBA is an accurate, quick, and insightful way to help clinicians and parents make better decisions about ADHD.
Does insurance cover NEBA?
Some third party payers do cover NEBA. There are thousands of payers in the United States. Each has its own payment policies. Learn more here. We can help you check your benefits to see if coverage is likely. Call (888)539-4267 for NEBA Benefit Services. Click here to download insurance inquiry form.
Do NEBA providers take insurance?
It depends on the particular policies of a practice: some take insurance, and some providers are fee-for-services practices.
How much does NEBA Cost?
It depends. The total out-of-pocket for NEBA will never be more than $425 and your out-of-pocket cost will likely be significantly less. Why?
- Your out-of-pocket depends on your particular insurance provider and policy.
- NEBA’s cost varies by region.
- If you have a financial need, talk to your provider about NEBA-Cares™.
- For participating providers, NEBA-Cares may cover up to 100% of NEBA’s cost.
What is NEBA-Cares?
NEBA-Cares is a program clinicians may use to provide need-based assistance for up to 100% of NEBA’s cost. Contact your NEBA provider prior to your NEBA procedure to see if they participate. Participating NEBA providers will give you a one page form to complete prior to the NEBA procedure.
Where can I find a NEBA provider?
Call 1.888.539.4267 and we will provide you with a list of all NEBA providers in your geographical area so you can decide the right clinician for your family.
How do I get NEBA for my child?
- First, call us to find a provider and schedule an appointment.
- Second, get a NEBA prescription key code from the provider during your scheduling call.
- Third, sign up at MyNEBA.
What is MyNEBA?
MyNEBA is our app that parents and caregivers use to register for NEBA. MyNEBA can be accessed by the web or by an app available in the Google store for Android devices. You enter your NEBA prescription key code and your billing, insurance and clinical information. MyNEBA then securely shares this information with your clinician. MyNEBA is HIPAA complaint and part of our ISO 13485 quality system. MyNEBA adheres to security standards for networked medical devices laid out by the FDA. You must have a NEBA Prescription Key Code to use MyNEBA.
What is the NEBA Prescription Key Code?
The NEBA Prescription Key Code is a secret code, given by the clinician that associates a patient with a particular NEBA provider. If you’ve lost your code you can call your clinician to obtain a new one. You can also call customer support.
How long does NEBA take?
NEBA takes about 15 – 20 minutes to administer. That includes setup and clean up times, and data collection. We usually process NEBA Reports within about an hour. Your clinician may schedule the NEBA process – initial diagnostic workup and impression, NEBA, clinical integration of results and parent/caregiver meeting -- in one or several visits.
How does NEBA practically work?
Prior to NEBA test day, your clinician will instruct you and your child what to do. For example your child will be instructed to come to NEBA test day with clean hair with no braids. NEBA works by collecting brainwave data and processing it into a report. To collect the data, the NEBA equipment uses special disposable stick-on electrodes. A special electrode is used on the top of the head – it doesn’t have adhesive on it and it’s held in place by an elastic band. The electrodes are non-invasive, that is they rest on the skin’s surface. The NEBA technician gently removes the electrodes after use.
Is NEBA available outside the United States?
NEBA is cleared for marketing in the United States. We are licensed by Health Canada. NEBA is currently available only in the US.
Is NEBA in the Media?
- FDA.gov: FDA permits marketing of first brain wave test to help assess children and teens for ADHD
- Time.com: FDA approves first scan for ADHD
- New York Times: Brain test to diagnose ADHD is approved
- MSNBC / The Grio: New screening tool for ADHD
- The Press Got It Wrong: The Real Truth Behind a New Test for ADHD
- Dr. Arif Mirza explains NEBA - Channel 24 - ABC Memphis
- Psychology Today: Diagnosing ADHD by brainwaves?
- Psychology Today: To test or not to test?
- Inc Magazine: The tiny startup behind the brainwave test for ADHD
- CBS 5 Phoenix: New Test Approved by FDA
- New ADHD test a 'breakthrough,' say medical experts
- FDA creates new classification rule for NIEAs
- Arif K. Mirza, MD will serve as NEBA Health’s Medical Director
- Study shows that an FDA-cleared biomarker can help to reduce ADHD overdiagnosis
- HEALTHBEAT4: ADHD Test
- Columbia Psychiatrist first in the state to use ADHD testing technology
- Neuropsychiatric EEG-Based Assessment Aid System
Who is NEBA Health, LLC?
NEBA Health is a small company passionately helping clinicians, children and families with tools that aid in assessing mental health disorders. We are an ISO13485 medical device manufacturer with an FDA facility in Boulder, Colorado and corporate offices in Augusta, Georgia. We operate a registered HIPAA compliant NIEA physiological laboratory. We are a member of AdvaMed and support the AdvaMed Code of Ethics. NEBA Health, LLC is privately held.